The question of compensation is the most frequent one, as it comes up on every project. Building systems engineers will use different methods for putting their fees together. One way is to estimate the number of hours for the job and multiply by the hourly rate. Other ways include percentage of construction budget, $/sheet, and $/square foot.
table below are applicable would include:
1. Existing condition observation (if renovation).
2. Redesign to meet project budget.
3. Bid assistance (pre-bid, pre-construction, construction meetings).
4. Preparing bid alternates or owner direct purchase bid packages.
5. Determining the acceptability of substitute materials and equipment/shop drawing review.
6. As-built drawings.
7. Reproduction of reports, drawings, specifications, bidding documents, and similar
8. Three site visits during construction, one at rough-in, one at substantial completion and one at final completion.
|Discipline Construction Cost||Approximate Compensation|
|Up to $25,000||14.50%|
Project schedule, complexity, level of detail required and many other factors will influence the fee. The typical engineering fees above can be used for budget purposes of renovations. New construction is typically 30%-35% less.
Max Segal P.E. writes about how much building systems engineers charge, for Global-Sanchez.com. Global Sanchez is an engineering firm with two office locations in Tampa FL, and Bradenton FL. Serving all of Florida go here to contact Global Sanchez for a free proposal.